Sunday, April 1, 2012

Case #1 and #2: Strep Pharyngitis

A sister and brother, aged 7 and 14, respectively present with pharyngitis.  The 7F has sore throat, cough, fever, and post-tussive vomiting for 1 day.  She has posterior pharyngeal erythema, no lymphadenopathy, no exudate, no petechiae, and looks like a viral URI.

The 14M had culture confirmed GAS pharyngitis 3 weeks ago, was treated with PCN-VK and symptoms resolved.  Now, he's in the ED with signs and symptoms of pharyngitis again, including dysphagia, fever, cough, posterior pharyngeal erythema, swollen tonsils, LAD, and petechiae on his hard palate.

Resources used:

I ordered cultures on each of them and then I opened up MDCalc (I have shortcuts saved to all my devices' desktops) to the Modified Centor Score for Strep Pharyngitis.  The easy-to-use calculator tells me that I won't treat the 7F unless positive cultures come back, and the 14M will get empirically covered.

But what antibiotic do I give him?  It seems that he failed PCN-VK.  Traditionally, many have reached for azithromycin next but I had just read a plea by Dr. Ryan Radecki on his blog EM Literature of Note to stop using macrolides for strep throat based on a study out of Rush that reported cases of rheumatic fever secondary to macrolide resistance.  The paper also notes as high as a 15% US single center resistance rates.

If not a z-pack, then what?  I opened the EMRA Abx guide which recommended cephalexin or clindamycin.  I chose cephalexin, rechecked in Micromedix the indications and dosing, and felt confident I had made the right choice.  I also noted to myself that if in the future I were treating a child with a history of PCN anaphylaxis, then clindamycin would be my choice.


I went home that night, read the paper and tweeted Ryan.  He and Dr. Graham Walker (MD Calc) were already having a conversation about the issue and I asked them what their second line choice of antibiotic is?


Finally, I went on my favorite quick reference resource WikEM.  Their entry on strep pharyngitis was recommending azithromycin as the second line drug.  I updated the site, and referenced the article.



This post can be found as  part of a guest series on Dr. Michelle Lin's blog, Academic Life in Emergency Medicine.

4 comments:

  1. What's missing from the discussion is that Dr. Centor (yes, of Centor Criteria fame) is among those less concerned with GAS pharyngitis these days and more concerned with Fusobacteria necrophorum pharyngitis, which occurs as commonly as strep and with greater morbidity and mortality.

    So yes -- this is a pharyngitis as common as strep throat that is actually killing some teenagers!

    About 1 in 400 F necrophorum pharyngitis cases progress to a Lemierre syndrome (septic thrombophlebitis of the IJ), with a 2-5% mortality rate. Sure, progression to Lemierre's is rare -- but compare that to the rational for treating strep pharyngitis, which is that ~ 1 in 10,000 progress to rheumatic heart disease.

    F necrophorm is susceptible to penicillin but immune to macrolides. Yet another reason to avoid Azithromycin.

    Dr. Centor now favors treating adolescents with 3 or more of his criteria.

    In fact, we now have the bizarre situation where a *negative* strep test is a more compelling reason to treat with antibiotics than a positive strep test. (Strep pharyngitis has a 99.9999 % chance of resolving untreated without the patient developing rheumatic heart disease. F necrophorum apparently has ~ 95-98% chance of resolving untreated without the patient developing a septic thrombophlebitis of the internal jugular and possibly dying from that. Hmm.)

    The natural history of routine pharyngitis is resolution in 3 to 5 days. If it's not resolving or worsening, the differential diagnosis expands, to include acute HIV, mono, or a suppurative complication like an abscess or the Lemierre syndrome.

    - Centor RM. "Expand the pharyngitis paradigm for adolescents and young adults." Ann Intern Med 2009 Dec 1; 151:812.
    - Centor RM, Geiger P, Waites K. "Fusobacterium necrophorum bacteremic tonsillitis: 2 Cases and a review of the literature." Anaerobe 16 (2010) 626-628.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant blog, thank you very much. It seems very well written and I have taken my time to read it thoroughly.

    Usmle Tutor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoy read this Answered thanks to admin share this information with us.


    Fundamentals of Pathology 2014

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jose Andrews is my name, Some people keep questioning God, asking him why he allowed Satan to put in the world deadly diseases, but they never know that anything happening in this life, is just for a particular reason. Here is my story on how I was cured of schizophrenia by a herbal doctor Uwadia Amneifo using his herbal mixture. Few months ago, I realized I had some problem with my system, and later on I begin to forget things easily. I complained to my doctor after his text he said just a little problem with me, but that soon I will be fine. He prescribed for me and I was taking medicine according to his prescription but my condition was getting worse instead of coming down. So I went back to my doctor after some time, he said am having issues with my brain, this continues gradually until it became worse and I was diagnosed of schizophrenia and this disease is also known as Asperger's Syndrome. My doctor told me there is no cure to this disease that I have to live and die with it. It continued for one month and my system was almost shutting down before my cousin brother came to my house to visit and broke to us the news about a herbal doctor he heard about called doctor Uwadia Amenifo that cured some body of Stevens Johnson Syndrome. So he explained how he heard about this herbal doctor uwadia Amenifo and the kind of terrible diseases this doctor have cured. His words were very impressing and I had to give the doctor a try. We made contact with him and he said he can cure me. So my cousin made all necessary arrangement with him, and he prepared herbs and send to me in USA. I took the herbs according to his prescription and behold to cut long story short his herbs works perfectly well, and cured me of my schizophrenia. Today I am hale and healthy and evidence of my healthiness can been seen in this piece of note I wrote myself to tell the world about Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. Please if you know anyone suffering from brain disease, in a hurry contact Doctor Uwadia Amenifo on his email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), and his cell no is +2349052015874. I wish all suffering from brain problem quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete